This very day is the last day of 2017. Unlike my previous last day of the years, this one had caught me in a very mixed feelings. In general, I am happy with what I’ve accomplished this year, but at the same time, a bit of regrets and failures still managed to make me stand on the ground. So this is the reflection of what I’ve won and what I’ve lost this year.
- After so many attempts, several breakdowns, I had the opportunity to continue my career in a different place, with different industry, and in an environment a bit different than the previous one. It was not easy to change, but I did have a high dose of excitement to start my new position back then, and to be honest, that excitement is still in a high dose at the moment. I am thankful for this opportunity, which I think it brings a lot more new things to try, a lot more chances to “make mistakes” which lead me to develop myself better and better every single day. I am very grateful for the challenges thrown in front of my path so I know what I am actually capable to do. So the first thing I want to thank God about this year is my new job. I consider this as a win, since I have been into highs and lows to decide this and to get this, and good thing it turns out awesome for me.
- Because of my new job, I got the opportunities to visit new places as well. This year I went to France and Portugal for the first time, and I went to Bangkok, Thailand for the second time. I am not that kind of traveler who targeted some visits to particular places every single year, but since it came to me this year, then I include this as one of the wins! Beside these, I went to Bali on a very relaxed trip with wifey and some friends. I know my wife is quite disappointed that we couldn’t manage to have a big trip for us this year, but we managed to secure a big one for next year before 2017 ended, so it’s still quite good for us. So two wins so far.
- Almost everyone wishes for a better health and better shape for new year resolution, and for me: no different. But I have a major setback this 2017 since I suffered from cough for quite some time, and it bugs me BIG TIME. When I need to be in my best condition for my works, I couldn’t able to do it. Even I experienced the worst flu in my last 5 years. So this one is a lost for me. And of course the same wish will still be applied for next year, for healthier and better me, and I wish this one will be accomplished well in 2018. Finger crossed.
- The biggest lost for me this year: my dad. We have been fighting for almost 2 years since we discovered that he has been suffered from a pancreatic cancer, with no chance of curable treatment. And he had been handling this marvelously, until he won the battle on 11th of December, only few weeks ago. He had won it and now he is in his best condition, only this time it will have no end. It will be forever. I missed you so much Dad, even though we’ve been quite far apart since I moved to Jakarta 13 years ago and I decided to move even further to Singapore around 3.5 years ago, and realizing that most of the time I’ve been taking it for granted, but when you are not here with us and I can’t hear your voice over the phone, it hits me hard. I am happy and very grateful because you were brave enough to lift your own cross, and you leave this life with no regret at all. I am happy that you can eat whatever you want now, you can ride bicycle happily (this is the hobby you loved the most), and most of all, no more pain, no more pain. So again, this is the biggest lost for me, but also this is the biggest win for you Dad. You’ll be forever missed.
- I have just recently moved to a new place, and this time it will be only the two of us, me and my wife. I hope this will be another win for us, and I will consider this as a small win in the end of 2017 because we have just moved for around 1 week. So far we love to stay here and I hope many sweet memories and happiness will arrived later for us in this place. I know the best thing is yet to come.
So, in the end, I’ve won 3 things and lost 2 things. Even though there are some things that made me down this year, I am very grateful for the live I’ve been living this year, for my amazing wife who always be supportive, and for the opportunities God has been giving me every single day. My pledge for 2018: for a better, healthier, and happier me, and to be able to help people more and more, and ultimately, to make this world a better place to live in.
Thank you 2017 for everything, this is a goodbye, and I am looking forward to a more awesome 2018 ahead.
Happy New Year!