Stucked in airport with no wifi connection is bad. Even worse since there is not any cafe or nice place to have snacks during the wait. And I am in this kind of situation right now, in my hometown, trying to catch a flight to Jakarta which as usual, got delayed for more or less 2 hours. I am sitting on a hard, non-cushioned metal chair, together with at most 13 other people who are also placing their hope so the plane can arrive soon and we can start going to Jakarta.
So in this kind of hard situation, let’s try to do some wild imaginations on how should people spend their time waiting at airport. I mean, arguably, I am now at one of the most primitive airport in the world, what could be worse than this?
- Make yourself busy with your phone. This, I strongly believe, is the thing that most of the people will do while waiting at airport. Even at a small town like my hometown, right now I am seeing most of the people (yeah I know, only 13 persons) are busy with their phones. I was one of them until recently I charge my phone and switch on my notebook to write this nonsense. Bear with me, please. In fact, for this option, you can have so many sub-options like: playing games, watching movies, just browsing on some websites, chatting, stalking somebody on social media, watch porn and the most common thing that any mobile phones can do: making phone call. Which one do you like to do most?
- Reading. This is quite specific hobby, not everyone like to read. But I can see based on my observation (I am quite an observer, you know), quite many people like to read during waiting time at airport. From novels, biography, magazine, comic books, or some study books for students, you can choose anything you like to read. You can use conventional books or electronic books such as Amazon’s Kindle, iPad, or any other tablet/gadget. Many said that reading is good to add your knowledge. I agree on this, since if you read manuals how to swim more than 50 times, you will be an expert in swimming because you know all the knowledge you need to swim. Again, this is nonsense writing, so please do not take it seriously, even though I am very serious in making nonsense writing.
- Writing. This is even more specific thing to do. Only small amount of people will do this, and I believe in this very room (again, out of 13 persons), only me who are doing this. I always try to bring my laptop with me if I went on a trip, especially if I am going alone. This laptop has been my perfect companion since I bought it, since it is light and quite slim, I can always just put it in my backpack to bring it wherever I go. I can also always do the writing by my phone, but it is quite challenging since it would be in a smaller screen and the typing will not be as comfortable as using laptop’s keyboard. Next question is: what to write? Anything. Even at the moment I am writing this nonsense.
- Going for a massage. This is only possible in bigger airport, who usually has a massage service. You can get free massage or you can get a paid one for a better service. At Changi airport, you can find some free massage chair (it is not that impressive, normally the machines only do massage on your feet) and use it as long as you want. If you need more comprehensive massage, you can go to any reflexiology hut inside some airports but you will have to pay for that, and usually it is not cheap. If you want to be massaged by human but you want it free, you can do this if you are traveling in group. You can take turns to massage each other, and it’s free. Train a lot, and you will be as pro as the massage hut’s masseur in no time.
- Shopping. This is the best activity you can do, only if you are at a very big and comprehensive airport and you have money to spend. Unfortunately, I am here in a 50 square meters room full with metal chairs and 13 other desperate people, no shops, the best you can do is to have a mie-bakso outside the building to spend your money to. Oh how I miss Changi airport now, free wifi, lots of foods, lots of stores, ok ok I understand that I need to stop roaming around Changi airport in my mind. But yes, shopping is one of the options you can do in airport, since the price have to be cheaper because of the tax free items. One friend of mine once said, you can buy a branded bag way cheaper in Soekarno-Hatta international airport, so he did that several times. Next time going to airport, bring your credit card and do the spending spree!
- Going to a cinema for free. Again, this is another way for me to express how I miss Changi airport. Because the only airport I know that provides free cinama entry (of course you can’t choose the movie), is Changi airport. You want to have this experience? Go to Singapore, you’ll have it for free.
- Have a walk in sunflower garden. Changi airport, again, how I miss you!!!
- Stalking people. This is the simplest thing to do because you don’t need any gadget or tools to do it, and you don’t have to spend your money. It is easy and free. You’ll just have to find a nice sitting spot and just sit there waiting while looking at people commuting inside the airport. If you are going to stalk for pretty ladies, I suggest you study the place first to know where the spot used by flight attendants to go for their flight, and you can sit there. Even better if you wear sunglasses. You’re welcome.
- Take a nap. This is the second to simplest thing to do. Why? Because you will need to find a comfortable seat or maybe bed to get to sleep, unless you are that good that you can even sleep in a noisy places or you are able to sleep with your body standing straight. Kudos for those people. I am jealous of you. Remember to put an alarm before you take a nap because I believe you would not want to miss your flight, right?
Oh no, I have listed down 9 options already! And look, I have been wasting around 1 hour since I started to write this nonsense! So this is one of the proof that writing (especially nonsense topic) is one of the best way to spend your time at airport. I am gonna switch again to my mobile phone, I hope it is fully charged now, so I can continue my reading on my favourite manga: One Piece. More to that, please coming soon, plane!
Update for this post: I did not manage to fly that day, I tried to take bus or train but was not available as well. So i stayed overnight at my parent’s house just to get the earliest train the next day so I can reach Jakarta just before my flight to Singapore. I made it and now back at Singapore safely 🙂